Viral infections, like other germs can infect various parts of the body including the skin, lungs, bone, brain and blood stream.
○ More than 200,000 US cases per year
○ Treatable by a medical professional
○ Requires a medical diagnosis
○ Lab tests (culture) may be required
○ Medium-term: resolves within weeks
Symptoms depend on the area infected. In dermatology, we deal with fungal infections that are primarily limited to the skin or mucous membranes. Athlete's foot, jock itch and thrush are common examples. Treatments include antifungal medications.